Wednesday, May 09, 2012

LaPosta Restaurant in old Mesilla

 We stayed in Las Cruces, New Mexico while we visited Carol's son's family in El Paso. Las Cruces is only 30 miles from El Paso and we both like to eat at La Posta which was the main reson for staying there. I called for reservations two weeks before we left as I knew we would be there on May 5Th. La Posta has been in the same location for about 175 years. The food and service is outstanding and it was very festive while we were there. I took a picture of the short history of the restaurant.


 Below is a side view of the restaurant. The construction is original.
 



 While we waited for our dinner, I took Carol's picture.



 After dinner we went for a walk because it was May 5th several streets had been closed and we walked towards the sound of the Mexican band playing in the square. I discovered another building dating back to the same period as La Posta.



Below is the painted poster on the side of the building noting its claim to fame.





 I was not aware of the Butterfield Overland Trail before stopping here. I plan on doing some research when we return home.



In the background you can see some of the local folks who were enjoying the music.