Friday, January 11, 2008

A Good Day

I have been in a bit of a funk lately. For someone who loves to drive, I have been doing very little of it. Perhaps, the focused drive from Rhode Island to Florida in two days after Christmas temporarily may have killed my desire to drive. There have been many days since my return when the car has sat idle. The rare times that I did use it was just to go to the market. I am currently in another period of fitful sleeping and seem to have low energy. Perhaps I have been dwelling on the memory that a year ago my wife began a long six months of chemo that ended when she collapsed and was transported to the hospital never to return home. I have been faithful to my morning walk and afternoon swim hoping I can exercise my way out of my funk.

I have been reading vorachiously. I am on my last book and I decided a couple of days ago that I must get more. TV rots and with the writers strike, TV can only get worse. This morning I skipped my daily walk and headed off to DeFuniak Springs to the Book Store that has some new books but mostly used books. I narrowed my selection down to five hard cover novels. I also turned in several books and got a $3.50 credit towards my purchases. I had a nice lunch in the Busy Bee restaurant. I had smoked brisket, coleslaw that no place in New England could match and fries with vinegar. I finished a roll of film that has the pictures I took over Christmas at home.

I actually did not mind the drive of around 80 miles total. This might be a good omen. In the last four days, I have received as many invitations to go and visit. My cousin Diane in Haines City, my friend Frankie near Orlando, and my wife's childhood friend, George in Seminole . They all want me to go and visit. My Navy buddy in Georgia asked me to come visit him today for a change of scenery and Southern hospitality. I don't think I am ready for a 6 to 7 hour drive quite yet. I hope that sometime in February I will venture down to the other part of Florida. I will stop in Georgia on the way home in March.

All in all, a good day. Now if I can sleep tonight.

No comments: