Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Quilting

Carol decided that she would like to learn to make a hand made quilt. We had been planning on going to Keene, New Hampshire to visit Sandra, a cousin and good friend. I told Carol that Sandra would be a source of information and direction as Sandra is a quilter. When Sandra found this out, she said we would take a short drive to Chester, Vermont to visit a fabric shop that caters to quilters. This is the shop located in the village.
I was amazed at the amount of inventory in this shop. Every where there were bolts of fabric, "fat quarters" and supplies. Carol had this look that reminded me of a kid in a candy store. It was at that point that I decided to wander around the village. I knew this store was going to need an ample amount of time. This is just a small sample of the inventory. They had one section just devoted to fabric with a sports theme, another on transportation, etc.


Needless to say, we had a great time in Chester, me, I walked around the village. Carol and Sandra, they enjoyed the shop. We went back to Keene, and had a nice lunch. We visited on Sandra's front porch and caught up on family news. It was a great day. The "stash" that Carol purchased is for a project that is in the "imagination" stage.

Since then, Carol and I spent a morning in another fabric store. She decided her first quilt would be for a young grandson. It takes time to pick out several complementary fabrics for a quilt. We picked out several bolts only to return then to the bin. They had to be perfect. I enjoyed the process and was vey patient. The lady who cut the fabric commented that I was good man.

This is Carol hand sewing her first project. She borrowed the hoop from my eldest daughter. Carol is still searching for the "proper" thimble. I think she has made great progress. There are two more quilts planned. Then there is the knitting, and oh yeah, a lady called from Panama City Beach this morning to see when we would return. She has this little sewing project for Carol. It a good thing we are retired. We sure don't have time for a steady job.


1 comment:

Jill said...

looks beautiful. can't wait to see it in person!