Thursday, August 26, 2010

Yard Sale

I recently participated in a multi-family yard sale at my niece's house in North Scituate. I had my home on the market but it did not sell. I think the realtor started too high. I let him pick the price as he is an "expert". I'll try again in the spring. I asked my children what they would like from the house and almost everything has either been spoken for, or already moved to their homes. I still have lots of stuff. I have lived in this house over 40 years. I collected crackle glass, transportation toys (over 500), lead crystal and some artwork. My wife collected pottery and Santa Claus figures, some hand painted and signed and some that were inexpensive. My niece and Carol helped me wrap and box those items that would be sold. It is not an easy thing to do. I guess it took a couple of hours. The day of the yard sale took another six hours. For this I ended up with $42.00, good conversation and Ray made me lunch. I also saw a gal that I went to grade school with over 55 years ago. I took some stuff home with me. The rest was wrapped and boxed and went to Salvation Army. In retrospect, I felt that the whole process left me depressed. If it wasn't a dollar or less, it was not looked at. I had a hand painted vase made in Dublin by the Tara company. It was probably a fifth of its worth. Did not sell. I have promised myself that I will not do a yard sale again. I will either donate or send it to the landfill.

No comments: