Monday, December 27, 2010

Hurricane straps

I am not a do-it-yourself type of guy. I will attempt some small "safe" projects. Ones I think I won't mess up. Carol dislikes blinds and we have started to hang curtains. I felt that I would be able to install the rods. The first room was the master bedroom. Carol wanted the curtains to not block the window when open. Therefore the rods would be of sufficient length to accommodate the width of the curtains. I measured, leveled, measured, leveled and drilled the holes for the brackets for the rod. The picture below is the result.


The next project was a valence over the kitchen window. Piece of cake - right. I placed the bracket over the window and moved it as directed by Carol to the "perfect" spot. I drilled the first hole and the drill hit a solid object. Good I thought, a stud. I applied pressure and still nothing. I'ts not a stud it is the metal hurricane strap. I now know that every window and door opening has them. It provides added structural support for hurricane protection. I knew that I did not have the right drill bits to punch into the strap. I immediately called Jeff, the local contractor that has done work for us. He came over and he had some difficulty punching through, but he got it done. He installed both brackets and the valance was installed. The finished project is pictured below.


The bedroom window rods were sufficiently wider than the window and therefore I was away from the metal straps. I continue to learn more about this home in Florida.

No comments: