Thursday, October 21, 2010

Early Voting

Yesterday, Carol and I went and cast our ballots for the mid term election. This was the first time for me voting in Florida. Rhode Island never had early voting while I voted there. I have not missed an election since I have been eligible to vote. We went to our local library which is only three blocks away. I have to say that I was very impressed with the procedure. I showed my drivers license, I was checked by a computer, signed an electronic scanner and was given a receipt which I then handed to the next person. She printed out my ballot and I went into a booth and completed my choices. I then fed my completed ballot into a machine and the process was complete. Florida has come a long way since the "hanging chad" problem with the first Bush presidential election.

One interesting note (at least to me) every Florida Supreme Court Justice name was on the ballot with the question "should they retain their job" We could vote yes or no. In Rhode Island once the person is confirmed to the RI Supreme Court, they serve until retirement, death or disgrace.

Usually my voting decisions are well defined and thought out. My vote for Governor was a difficult decision. Neither the Republican nor the Democratic candidate seem worthy of the position in my opinion. I choose what I considered to be the lesser of the two evils.

Now all I have to do is wait until November 3rd for all the nasty political adds to be done.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I really wish they'd check my license when I vote. Never have in Mdbo.