Wednesday, January 27, 2010

50 Years ago - January 27, 1960

Fifty years ago today I rode the 6:30 AM train from Providence, Rhode Island to Boston. I was going to be sworn into the United States Navy at 8:30 AM. A moment that would change my life forever.

First I will try to recap the events that shaped my decision to join the service. I graduated from a high school that only offered a college course. Latin was required. I enjoyed my high school years as I went to a school full of what would be classified as nerds. We were all expected to go on to college and beyond. In September of 1959 I started in the Engineering curriculum at the University of Rhode Island. My dad was an engineer and I was told that was the path for me. Well I was unhappy for many reasons there. I was not motivated by any of the instructors or the material. I managed to pass all the main subjects with marginal marks. I never really figured out the slide rule, mostly I didn't care. I was good at Math but did not really like doing it. I could not see myself doing this the rest of my life.

I wanted to switch to Business and my dad said no. So two days before the second semester began, on a whim I went to the Federal Building and shopped recruiters. Thankfully, the Army and the Marines had met their quota for January. I walked into the Navy recruiters office and asked if they had an opening and could I leave the next day. He said if I was not running from the law I could leave in two days. He explained that if I was a high school grad and could pass the test I would be guaranteed a school. I told him I was dropping out of college and I immediately took the test and got a perfect score. I looked up at the list of schools and picked three from Navy Aviation. I would be attending one of those schools after boot camp. He sent me to take a physical while he called the Chief of Police in my town. I asked him to tell the chief not to tell my father as I would do that.

When I went home that afternoon and told my mom that I joined the Navy, she teared up and told me to wait until after supper to tell him so we could have a peaceful supper. My dad was disappointed and upset. He was sure that I had ruined my life and would end up a bum. My dad came to this country as a young boy, learned English in 6 months. He worked a year in the mills in New Bedford after high school to save money for college. He dug ditches during college to support himself and his education. Here I was throwing it away. He did agree to drive me to the train station. He hugged me as I left for the train.

So at 8:30 AM EST I took the oath for the U S Navy along with about 30 young men from New England. We were scheduled to take a plane out of Logan airport at 1 PM. We got to the airport in light snow and shortly the snow came down hard and Logan closed we were all bussed to a hotel in Sculley Square. In 1960, Sculley Square was called the combat zone. Several of the new sailors got tattoos, drunk and in trouble before they even got to boot camp. I was rooming with a boy from New Bedford and we stayed put. So began the greatest adventure of my life. After boot camp I went to Jet Mechanic school outside of Memphis, Tennessee, one of only two landlocked Navy bases back then. A tribute to the power of their U S Senators. It was a marvelous time in a young mans life. I was there for the Cotton Carneval and saw Elvis Presley in his Convertible. Beale Street was off limits but I managed to listen to the Blues. I had grits for the first time. I also experienced segregation for the first time.

I then went to training on a specific jet engine and was flown over to Europe to catch up to what would become my duty for the rest of my enlistment. I was attached to VA 36. The squadron flew off the USS Saratoga and when in home port we went to NAS Cecil Field outside of Jacksonville, Florida. I spent most of my time as a plane captain. Working on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier at night was the most exciting and dangerous place I have ever been. I made three Med cruises, was on the Cuban Blockade and saw and did things that I would never have had the opportunity to experience.

In retrospect, joining the Navy was the best thing I could have done. I grew up on that flight deck and the good times and the bad times made me a better man and a better husband and hopefully a better father.

It took me 11 years of night school to get my BS and MBA in Business Management after the Navy. I have always been proud that I volunteered, served my time and got an honorable discharge. My dad once told me that he was amazed at how well I supported my family without being an Engineer. I was pleased by that.

No comments: