Saturday, January 23, 2010

Big Brown (UPS) on a rainy day

Carol and I had been to a number of local stores looking for a particular brand of shampoo. Several stores said they used to carry that brand, but no longer. We found a Internet site that carries that product. We ordered 6 bottles and they would be shipped via UPS. I followed the progress using the tracking number. Thursday morning (1/21) I saw that the package was on the truck to be delivered. Thursday was also a rainy day here and we had no plans that required us to be out and about. In fact, Carol was busy in the front room completing alterations for a neighbor. So when I saw that the tracking had been updated and the package delivered I was surprised because their had been no knock on the door. We went looking all around the house, no package. I called UPS and was assured that the package must be there. They were very apologetic and told me that I had to initiate a trace with the vendor. I was irate. I said I don't want your apology and I should not have to do all the work because your driver screwed up. Call the driver I demanded. We can't do that he is on the road. Well he damn sure updated your computer. At this point I was transferred to a higher source who immediately apologized. I again said don't tell me you are sorry, contact the driver. To make a long story shorted, they agreed and took my phone number and told me I would get a call back. A short time later, the UPS truck arrived and he told me right house number wrong street, I missed by one block.

My phone rang and it was a manager in the local distribution center. He told me that he was glad I got my package and you know, you have to understand its a rainy miserable day.

Yeah right! Apparently on rainy days any street will do as long as the house number is correct. I know UPS prides itself on doing a great job and they do. What rankles me is that I was the one they wanted to do all the hassle of calling the vendor and starting a trace for their error.

No comments: