Thursday, July 22, 2010

July trip North

Carol and I talked about our route back to Rhode Island. We have done the I 10 - I 95 trip so often that we wanted a different view so to speak. I had been to Gettysburg a few weeks ago with my son and I had told Carol about the new visitor center. I started looking for a good route there from Panama City Beach. We were committed to an evening in the Savannah area as we were going to have dinner with my Navy buddy and his wife. That became our jumping off point. I mapped out the trip and decided to include the Shenandoah National Park. As it turned out, our friends were sick and we ate at an Applebee's and sat at the bar. The bar tender / waitress was funny and we had great conversation and good food.

The morning of the second day we headed up I 95 until we picked up I 26 inland. We drove through South Carolina, North Carolina and into Virginia. That night we stayed in Waynesboro, Virginia. The desk clerk recommended the River Grill a locally owned eatery. The meals were good, but the desert was to die for. They had their own version of bananas foster. We split one and not quite finished it. Waynesboro is the jumping off point for North bound Shenandoah National Park. 105 miles of twisty roads traversing the Blue Ridge Mountains. The ranger at the entrance told us to allow 3 1/2 hours. It took us 4 hours. We stopped often for "photo ops".

Below are a small sampling of the pictures I took in the park. We also saw several deer along the road side. Carol managed a couple of pictures of them while I was driving. They all had such beautiful coats. The mountain scenery was awesome!


Gizmo liked the view also. Mostly he stayed in the truck. Every time I took him on the leash he wanted to run after whatever he saw or smelled.



After we left the park, we drove into Gettysburg and checked into the motel. We unloaded, walked the dogs, fed them and we went to the Battlefield Museum Visitor Center. Carol took a moment (my request) to sit by Abe for a photo. We had to wait our turn as there was a line ahead of us.

If you purchase the ticket after 4 PM it is valid for the following day. We did this and went immediately into the theater for a short movie which gave a short overview of the battle and history leading up to the succession of the states that formed the Confederate States of America. After the movie we were directed up an escalator to the area where the cyclorama is located. 373 feet in circumference and 43 feet high. It is hung in a manner that provides a 3 dimensional illusion. The room darkens, the sun rises, cannons erupt. The use of sound and lighting on the painting gives one the feeling that you are there. The show lasts several minutes and depicts "Picket's Charge" during the third day of the battle.



The next morning we were at the center at 8 AM and we did the portion of the museum that takes you from the day before the battle begins through the actual three days of the battle. There are short videos, written panels, maps, pictures. The tour book said to allow an hour. We took two hours. Carol and I were totally immersed in the museum. We saw every video, read all the panels and looked at all the static displays. After we left, I drove out to just a small portion of the battlefield for Carol to see a few of the monuments. There are over 400 monuments to states, divisions, generals and soldiers from both sides.


Below is the monument to the soldiers from Pennsylvania who fought at Gettysburg. Each one has his name listed on one of the many plaques mounted on the side of the base.


We quickly rushed back to the motel as we had to check out. We then headed to our Rhode Island home. First let me say how much I dislike I 95 in Connecticut, especially the New Haven area heading north bound. Lately I have avoided the Connecticut thing. Instead of that route I turn north towards Albany and pick up the Mass Pike. Yeah, I know, it adds 120 miles to the trip. It is a pretty ride and usually uneventful. But not yesterday. As we heading upstate through the Catskills, we were treated to a stunning lightning display. As the sky darkened and the rumbling got louder, I thought of Washington Irving and his tales of the area, especially Rip Van Winkle. Then it hit, a blast of wind which I think had to be wind shear hit the drivers side of the truck. I thought for a split second that the truck was going to roll. Both Carol and I still think that the drivers side wheels were lifted off the pavement for the briefest part of a second when a blast of wind hit the passenger side of the truck. The downpour was blinding, the truck was being hit by hail and tree branches. Fortunately a state trooper had passed me a couple of minutes before. He put his blue lights on. Through the heavy downpour I could see those flashing lights and that was my beacon to follow. At the time when hail and junk was hitting the truck, I said to Carol that the tonneau cover was fiberglass and would not dent, I also said I did not care about the roof as I was not tall enough to see the roof, but I damn sure don't want the hood dented. We drove like this with flashers on for several miles until we drove out of the worse of the storm. I guess this storm spun off a tornado that landed in Maine and about 50,000 folks in Connecticut lost power when trees were toppled by wind and lightning strikes. We and the truck are no worse for wear. It was dicey for a while. We are here for now.
I have begun planning our next adventure. Hmmm, is the best way to Florida, via Michigan???

1 comment:

Jill said...

wow, what a scary ride! how lucky the trooper was there. too dangerous to drive, too dangerous to pull over. glad you're home.