Sunday, May 30, 2010

Master of Divinity

The Andover Newton Theological School held its commencement on May 22, 2010. Carol and I were honored to be among the guests for the ceremony. It was a little over three years ago that my son-in-law decided that he wanted to pursue a career in the service of the Lord. This was quite a heavy decision. Michael and his family needed to make a commitment. A Master of Divinity requires a heavy work load over a three year program. I can attest to his dedication, research, the pondering over the computer as his papers were written. I know that Michael struggled early in the program as he began his research for the many papers that needed to be written. Not every graduate completed the program in three years. Michael did earning high honors and was inducted into the Jonathan Edwards Society. Not every one who attained honors became a member.

A number of individual awards were presented to the graduates for their outstanding work in the areas of study or leadership. The Massachusetts Bible Award for Excellence in the Public Reading of Scripture is given to the scholar whose passion and tonal quality during the reading maintains the attention of the audience by his presentation of the scripture. The winner is Michael Hall. I heard a gasp from the front of the church which I recognized as my daughter. Carol and I rose from our seats in the back and loudly cheered and clapped. Below is Michael accepting his award.

A reception was held after the ceremony "up the hill" from the church. It was a half mile walk up a steep hill. It was a fairly warm day and I worked up a sweat during the walk. As you can see, so did Michael.



Carol and I had a wonderful time participating in Michael's day. I am so proud of Michael. I know he will find satisfaction in his new calling. I have watched him for many years and I know how good he is with people and helping them.

I must comment on the ceremony. It was held in the First baptist Church of Newton. We were early for the two PM graduation. I was driving my new truck, I wanted a safe parking spot, I am not familiar with Newton, and I wanted sufficient time to walk down the hill. We were seated about 20 minutes before and we were treated to the music of the Lakeside Brass Quintet. They were fabulous. The music made me feel like I was on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. In fact when the Professors led in the graduates that is exactly the music that they played. It was fun procession with them dancing and clapping as they made their way to their seats. Truly a grand celebration to honor those who worked so hard to be there that day.

1 comment:

Ned Allyn Parker said...

Michael was one of my dearest companions during my seminary adventure. Many thanks for offering this post. I too was thrilled when Michael's name was read for this award!
Ned Allyn Parker