Thursday, May 06, 2010

The @%$& Census

Our address here in Panama City Beach was one that popped up on the list for a personal visit by a census taker. David, a very amiable young man, came to the house. We answered the questions asked, and David went about his business. I understood that he needed the wages and was doing what he needed to do to bring in some earnings. Little did we know what we were in for from the damn census department.

A few days later, I received a call asking if someone had actually visited our home. I guess the government does not trust their census workers, but we have to trust that they will honor our confidentiality. I gave the person from the Tallahassee Census office the young mans name and confirmed that he was actually here. A couple of days later, same idiot from Tallahassee called to ask if the house two doors down was unoccupied. I confirmed that was the case. I am beginning to regret being a good citizen.

Several days later, Carol and I were driving through Texas on vacation when the cell rang. I answered and lo and behold, another census manager from Tallahassee called and wanted to do a 7 minute survey. I explained I was driving in heavy traffic. He started whining, and I told him to call back at 8 PM that night or call on the date that I expected to return home. He started to demand that we do it right then. I hung up on him.

Today, Carol and I returned from doing errands and there was a car in my driveway. She explained that she was on a followup from the census. I started to be vintage Ed when Carol reminded me that she was just doing her job. In fact she had been out of work for 18 months. we did answer the questions but I asked her to note that I felt like I was a victim of discrimination and perhaps racial profiling. I am Portuguese and my last name might be construed as Latino. In fact AARP send me their magazine in Spanish, but that was another story. I also told her that I will not talk to anyone else. She related that she was hearing the same complaint from several of the people that she has on her list.

I have read that the returns from Florida were below average. I wonder if the government hacks in Tallahassee are just making work to justify their budgets while they aggravate the folks that did comply and participate in the census. I am sorry that I did.

No comments: