Thursday, September 06, 2012

Narragansett Bay Cruise Part III


During the cruise several interesting landmarks, yachts, and an aircraft carrier were pointed out to us on board. We sailed past this antique wooded yacht flying the Canadian flag. I thought that it had such a simple and beautiful design.



Following is the "house on a rock". It looks like it is a precarious location, yet the house has been there for some time. it is currently owned by a family from Boston and is their vacation home. Note the wind electric generator above the roof line.



This recently constructed boat, designed for charter work was also used in the Johnny Depp pirate movies. It is home based here in Rhode island waters.






The boats pictured below are ocean racing yachts. Hence the reason for the very tall masts.




Long ago when I was young, I joined the U S Navy. I was trained as an Aviation Jet Mechanic and was assigned to VA 36 a seagoing squadron. I basically became a plane captain working from 5 in the evening until 5 in the morning. My squadron flew off the USS Saratoga, CVA 60. I have a great love and very fond memories of working on that flight deck. I was fortunate to be invited to the decommissioning of that ship in 1994. Then she was freshly painted and looked like a great lady. Today, that ship is slowly deteriorating in dry dock in Portsmouth, RI. Years ago, I watched her being towed through Narragansett Bay to her dry dock. I was dismayed then at her condition. Today, the ship is in even worse shape. I grew up on that flight deck. I was a scared teenager when I flew aboard in 1960, and a confident young man when I was discharged several years later. I am still close to the great friends I made in that squadron.






The navy put the Saratoga on the donate list years ago. She could be such a great tourist attraction. The Yorktown in Charleston, SC is an example of a ship  museum done right. I was sadden to see her in this shape.


No comments: