Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day

I have always been pleased that I enlisted in the Navy so long ago. I truly enjoyed my four years. The only confrontation (if you could call it that) was the Cuban Blockade. On this day as on previous Memorial Days, I always remember several men who died for their country that I knew and were close too.

My uncle Pvt. Bart Satti who survived the Normandy beach invasion on D-Day, climbed the bluff only to die during the night from mortar fire. I was too young to remember him.

Airman Donald W. Cors, a fellow plane captain in V A 36. He died one night on the flight deck when the Air Boss made a fatal mistake and gave permission for a plane to land before the planes on the deck were clear of the landing area. Two others died on the flight deck that night.

Lt. Kenneth Cameron who was a pilot in V A 36 when I knew him. He later went on to fly missions in Viet Nam. He was shot down and died in "Hanoi Hilton". He was posthumously promoted to Captain.

Harold "Fuzzie" Fontenot a career sailor whose subsequent duty after V A 36 was aboard the USS Forestal. He died in that horrific fire that killed over 170 sailors during the Viet Nam conflict.

I remember all those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice.

No comments: