Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Update



My last post was in 2015. In May 2016, I was taken into the ER.   Two surgeries and 31 days later I came home. There I continued my recovery. It was a long summer with a visiting nurse every other day. I also had a physical therapist 3 times a week. In November, I went back into the hospital for more surgery.  

Carol was instrumental in helping me regain my strength. Over time, I began walking with a walker, then a cane and finally without help.  

Early in 2018, we began a search for a home in Panama City. Traffic on the beach coupled with an eighty town house construction proposal across the street from our home spurred us to move.

Late September, 2018, we moved into a beautiful brick home in Bylsma Estates.  Then Hurricane Michael hit the area. Between the damage to the structure and contents, we took a $60,000. hit. There were 6,600 homes with blue tarp covering roofs. Many homes in Mexico Beach were completely demolished. There were 96,000 windows on order.  We were without water for 4 days, and no electricity for 14 days. 

We were lucky, our insurance company was right there for us. Our new roof was completed prior to Christmas.




The flooring in the master bedroom was completed in December. We then took delivery of our new bedroom furniture. The hole in the ceiling was repaired in January, 2019. We went to Pensacola for several days during that time. We did not want to be exposed to the odors. Finally, in March, our three windows were replaced.  While we waited for the windows, they were covered with waterproof tarp. I had propped part of the ruined fence against the tarp mostly to keep it from flapping in the wind. We went to Tallahassee while the interior was painted.


Shortly after the house was completed, Carol's breathing became labored. She had childhood  asthma and some COPD from smoking in her earlier years. We found out Carol had lung cancer. She fought hard, but sadly she passed in December, 2019.

I sold the home in Florida, and was living in North Carolina, where I took Carol for her cancer treatment. So many doctors left after the hurricane, I thought best to take her to a cancer treatment center

I had not been back to Rhode Island in a while. I wanted to be here for my son's 50th birthday. I also wanted to visit my Mom's grave. I was taking care of Carol and was unable to make it for her funeral.

Once in Rhode Island, I was here to stay. Covid 19 put a halt to all travel. I lived with my son for several months. I signed a lease in Kettle Point., I moved in July 1st. I finally managed to register my car in Rhode Island. I am near my son and grand children, and yes, great grand children. My daughter and her family are two hours away in New Hampshire.




No comments: